The Fujifilm FinePix S8600 Digital Camera is a bridge-style point-and-shoot featuring a 16 Mp 1/2.3″ CCD sensor that is capable of producing high-resolution stills and HD 720p movies at 30 fps.
Revolving around a uniquely compact form-factor, the S8600’s 36x optical zoom lens features a three-step collapsible design that automatically retracts when not in use. The lens provides a 35mm-equivalent focal length range of 25-900mm, covering wide-angle to super telephoto perspectives to suit working in nearly any shooting scenario. Benefitting the extensive zoom range, as well as working in low-light conditions, lens-shift-type image stabilization works to minimize the appearance of camera shake to produce sharp, clear imagery.
A rear 3.0″ 460k-dot LCD monitor is available for live view monitoring, image review, and menu navigation for applying a host of camera settings and imaging features, such as Advanced Filters and the ability to detect up to 10 individual faces.
- Fujinon 36x Optical Zoom Lens
- A super-long 36x optical zoom lens is integrated into the FinePix S8600’s design, giving a 35mm-equivalent focal length range of 25-900mm. This lens has a maximum aperture of f/2.9-6.9 and benefits from lens-shift type image stabilization to counter the effects of camera shake that become more apparent when working with longer focal lengths and in Super Macro mode. Aspherical and ED lens elements are incorporated into the lens construction to reduce aberrations and color fringing throughout the zoom range. For even greater reach, Intelligent Digital Zoom is available and can effectively double the zoom magnification to 72x with minimal loss in image quality.Contributing to an overall compact form-factor, the lens also features a three-step collapsible design that automatically retracts when the camera is not in use.
- 16 Mp CMOS Sensor and Full HD Video
- The 16 megapixel 1/2.3″ CCD sensor is able to deliver high resolution imagery and HD 720p video at 30 fps. Contributing to greater control over imagery, the dedicated mode dial provides easy access to programmed auto, shutter-speed priority, and manual shooting modes, as well as quick access to burst shooting capabilities. When recording HD movies, sound is recorded via a built-in monaural microphone and an integrated wind noise filter helps to deliver clean recorded audio. Video playback is possible on an HDTV directly from the camera through an HDMI connection.
- Other Camera Features
- A large 3.0″ 460k-dot LCD monitor is available for clear live view monitoring, image review, and menu navigation for employing a host of camera settings and features.
- SR AUTO can automatically apply one of six scene modes (Portrait, Landscape, Night, Macro, Night Portrait, or Backlit Portrait) to your image to optimize camera settings to best expose for the type of scenario you are photographing in.
- The inclusion of a one-touch movie record button and ergonomic camera grip give this camera an immense amount of efficiency through physical design.
- Manual exposure modes (P/S/M) are available to give you more creative control over the exposure settings. SR AUTO, AUTO, Scene Position, Motion Panorama, Advanced Mode, and Custom settings are also selectable via the top dial.
- Scene Position modes are selectable modes that can be used to ensure the camera is correctly exposing for the type of subject matter you are photographing. Modes include: Portrait, Baby Mode, Landscape, Sport, Night, Night (Tripod), Fireworks, Sunset, Snow, Beach, Party, Flower, and Text.
- 10 Advanced Filters are incorporated to further enhance the aesthetic quality of imagery, including: Pop Color, Toy Camera, Miniature, Partial Color (Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, and Purple), High-Key, Low-Key, Dynamic Tone, Fisheye, Soft Focus, and Cross Screen.
- Motion Panorama allows you to record expansive panoramas in a seamless, sweeping manner.
- For added convenience, three AA batteries are used as the S8600’s power source.
- Instant Zoom helps to follow moving subjects in a standard wide view for easy framing and then, once the shutter button is pressed, the tracked subject will be photographed using a higher 1.4x or 2.0x digital zoom ratio for a more tightly cropped composition.
- Face Tracking Autofocus couples with Face Detection in order to optimize and maintain sharp focus on subjects’ faces, even while moving or when working in difficult lighting conditions.
- Face Detection can recognize up to 10 individual faces help accurately balance focus and exposure based on subjects’ faces.
- A date and time stamp can be embedded onto images in the lower right-hand corner.
- Built-in social networking allows you to pre-tag and label images and video in-camera prior to offloading the imagery to your computer. Once tagged and delegated to the social platform of your choice, the images will be automatically uploaded once you connect the camera to your computer.
- Micro Thumbnail View enables you to see up to 100 pictures on the rear LCD at a time, presented in a 10 x 10 gridded array of micro thumbnails. This allows you to quickly select the desired image from a vast image library.