Blending speed, versatility, and image quality, the white Nikon 1 J5 is a sleek mirrorless digital camera designed for the multimedia photographer on-the-go. Featuring a 20.8MP CX-format BSI CMOS sensor and EXPEED 5A image processor, the J5 is capable of recording up to 20 fps with continuous autofocus as well as UHD 2160p/15 or full HD 1080p/60 video. A top sensitivity of ISO 12800 benefits working in difficult lighting conditions while the BSI design of sensor helps to achieve greater image clarity with reduced noise levels and the omission of an optical low-pass filter further contributes to a high degree of sharpness and resolution. Complementing the imaging assets, the 1 J5 is also characterized by a revamped, retro-inspired body design featuring a 3.0″ 1,037k-dot touchscreen LCD that tilts 180° upward for prime selfie compositions. Additionally, snapbridge Wi-Fi connectivity with NFC also allows for instant wireless image sharing and remote camera control from mobile devices.
Complementing the imaging capabilities, the 1 J5’s speed is further carried over to the hybrid focusing system that utilizes both contrast- and phase-detection methods for greater accuracy and subject tracking performance. A dedicated Sport Mode helps to optimize camera settings for faster, more intuitive handling and, in contrast, in-camera time lapse shooting is also possible.
Included with the camera body is the 1 NIKKOR VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 PD-ZOOM lens, which provides a 27-81mm equivalent focal length range. This wide-angle to short-telephoto lens features a Power-Drive zoom mechanism, for quick, smooth control and VR image stabilization to suppress the effects of camera shake.
- 20.8MP BSI CMOS Sensor and EXPEED 5A Image Processor
- The 20.8MP CX-format BSI CMOS sensor pairs with an enhanced EXPEED 5A image processor to realize high-resolution still shooting and movie recording with native sensitivity to ISO 12800. The BSI design of the sensor helps to minimize noise and maintain true image clarity when working in difficult lighting conditions and High ISO Noise Reduction composites four separate images into a single frame for sharp and clean results. Additionally, the sensor’s design also omits an optical low-pass filter in order to achieve high image sharpness and resolution.The combination of the sensor and processor also affords a wealth of speed throughout the camera system, including the ability to shoot at 20 fps with continuous autofocus or 60 fps with fixed focus, and a unique Sports Mode optimizes camera settings for fast action and quick switching between shooting scenarios.This speed also carries over to the video recording side, where, in addition to UHD 2160p/15 and full HD 1080p/60 recording, you can shoot high-speed HD 720p movies at 120 fps or 400 x 144 movies at 1200 fps. Simultaneous still recording for up to 20 frames is possible and in-camera Electronic Vibration Reduction is available when recording at 30p or 60p. A built-in interval timer permits making time lapse movies, as well.
- Hybrid Autofocus
- Blending both phase- and contrast-detection autofocus systems, the 1 J5 utilizes 171 distinct areas to quickly and accurately achieve focus. Of these 171 areas, the center 105 areas support phase-detection focusing for faster response time and improved subject tracking to benefit working in fast-paced shooting conditions.
- Body Design
- Characterized by a sleek and retro-inspired design, the compact profile includes a range of control dials, customizable function buttons, and a large 3.0″ 1,037k-dot LCD monitor. The LCD features a 180° tilting design for self-portraits and is also a touchscreen for more intuitive control over camera settings, menu navigation, and playback.While compact in size, the CX format of the 1 J5 also affords compatibility with a wide range of lenses. Besides native 1-series lenses, the camera can also be paired with the optional FT1 mount adapter for working with any F mount lens with maintained VR and autofocus.
- snapbridge Wi-Fi Connectivity with NFC
- Supporting a wealth of sharing and tagging possibilities, the 1 J5 features built-in snapbridge Wi-Fi connectivity to enable seamless transfer of imagery as well as remote shooting capabilities. Once the Nikon Wireless Mobile Utility app has been installed on an Android or iOS mobile device, you can use that device to browse the contents of the memory card, select images, and seamlessly transfer files between devices for immediate sharing online. Additionally, the mobile device can remotely trigger the shutter and display a live view image from the camera to enable working from a distance. NFC (Near Field Communication) is also supported to provide a quick and simple tap-to-connect method for linking your mobile devices with the camera.
- Standards: IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g
- Operating frequency: 2412-2462 MHz (channels 1-11)
- Range (line of site): Approximately 32.8′ / 10m (with no interference)
- Data rate: 54 Mbps (maximum logical rate according to IEEE standard)
- Security: Authentication – Open system, WPA2-PSK
- Access protocol: Infrastructure and ad-hoc
- 1 NIKKOR VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 PD-ZOOM Lens
- Included with the camera body is the versatile 1 NIKKOR VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 PD-ZOOM lens; a wide-angle to portrait-length zoom providing a 27-81mm equivalent focal length range. The Power-Drive zoom mechanism affords smooth and precise control over the zoom placement, making it ideal for use when recording videos. Built-in VR image stabilization works to minimize the appearance of camera shake to benefit working with longer shutter speeds. Additionally, the lens’ compact form factor is complemented by a built-in lens cover, alleviating the need for a lens cap.
- Other Camera Features
- Picture Control modes allow you to set predefined looks to imagery in-camera and include Standard, Neutral, Vivid, Monochrome, Portrait, and Landscape. Selected Picture Control modes can also be refined for an even more personalized look.
- Active D-Lighting helps to preserve both highlight and shadow details when working in contrast-rich scenarios, such as backlit lighting. Utilizing the EXPEED 5A’s processing power, a more controlled image will be produced with brightness values closer to how they are naturally seen. This mode is suitable for working with moving subjects.
- Creative Modes offer an in-camera solution for adjusting the look of your stills or video: Pop, Retro, High-contrast monochrome, Nostalgic Sepia, HDR, Soft, Easy panorama, Miniature effect, Selective color, Cross process, Toy camera effect, Cross screen, Fisheye, Skin softening, Night landscape, Night portrait, Landscape, Close-up, and Portrait.
- Glamour Retouch modes allow you to adjust and enhance the look of subjects’ faces: Skin Softening, Small Face, Big Eyes, Brighten Faces, Hide Eye Bags, Whiten Eyes, Whiten Teeth, and Redden Cheeks.
- Language support: Arabic, Bengali, Chinese (Simplified and Traditional), Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Persian, Polish, Portuguese (European and Brazilian), Romanian, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Tamil, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, and Vietnamese.