The orange Stylus Tough TG-860 Digital Camera from Olympus is a compact, versatile and most notably, ultra-durable digital camera. Updating its predecessor, the TG-860 provides a waterproof depth rating of 50′ while retaining its shockproof capacity to a drop from 7′, its 220lbf crushproof capability, an operating functionality to 14°F and dustproof protection. In adition, the TG-860 now offers built-in Wi-Fi and GPS connectivity and a Front Face Button, which is a customizable shutter button for easier snapping of selfies and other control options.
The TG-860 features a 16MP 1/2.3″ BSI CMOS sensor and the TruePic VII Image Processor for high resolution stills and full HD 1080p video at 60 fps. ISO sensitivity runs to 6400 and offers a High ISO mode that automatically sets ISO to minimize blur in low lighting. In addition, an image stabilization system reduces the blur caused by camera shake, which is clearly beneficial when using this camera during the adventurous activities for which it was designed. The 5x optical zoom lens provides the 35mm focal length equivalence of 21-105mm for wide-angle to telephoto perspectives and the 180° Flip LCD display adjusts for easier low-angle shooting and lifts up completely for effective composition when creating selfies. For this reason, the secondary shutter release button is placed conveniently on the front of the camera near the pronounced and sturdy hand grip.
Built-in Wi-Fi connectivity enables easy transfer of your images to computers or smart devices and built-in GPS allows you to establish and record the exact location where you took individual images. Sportcam Mode affords controls that are ideal for capturing fast-paced activities including Full HD video at 60 fps, super slow motion video capures, time-lapse imaging and Sport Burst Shooting for fast sequential shooting with interval shooting.
For better control of specific types of shots, the TG-860 provides unique settings for Sweep Panorama, Self-Portrait mode, Super Macro mode for extreme close-ups, and Art Filters to add creative touches to your images. Also, two image stabilization modes improve the shake reduction capability when tracking moving subjects. In addition to its compact yet robust physical form and fine optics, the camera’s specialized features are geared to capture the type of action imaging and group fun for which the Olympus “tough” cameras are built.
- 16MP 1/2.3″ BSI CMOS Sensor
- The 16MP sensor in the TG-860 provides richly colored, detailed images with fine low-light performance and fast autofocus capability. ISO sensitivity runs from 125 to 6400.
- TruePic VII Image Processor
- The image processing engine on the TG-860 offers fast transfer and performance speeds and allows the camera to shoot both high resolution photos and Full HD video with accurate colors and minimal noise.
- Improved Waterproof Design and Damage Resistant
- The TG-860 is designed to be used in inclement weather and is able to shoot underwater and withstand the bumps and drops that other cameras cannot. It is waterproof to 50′, shockproof to 7′, crushproof to 220 lb, freezeproof to 14°F, and dustproof.
- 5x Optical Zoom Lens
- With a focal range that runs from 21-105mm in the 35mm format along with a maximum aperture of f/3.5-5.7, the lens on the TG-860 provides great image quality at shooting lengths from wide-angle to telephoto. The wide-angle allows for expansive vistas and the telephoto lengths can bring distant subjects closer. Because this camera is meant to be used in all weather conditions, the lens is provided with a water-repellent coating to keep rain drops and condensation from clouding-up the image.
- 1080p Full HD Video at 60 Frames Per Second
- Record full high definition 1080p video at up to 60 frames per second due to the combination of processing power and image sensor technology. Also possible is slow motion and super slow motion video recording in lower resolution.
- 3.0″ 180° Tilting LCD Display
- The 460k-dot 3.0″ tilting LCD display allows you to easily see when shooting from low angles and makes framing self-portraits and other difficult to shoot scenes much simpler.
- Built-In Wi-Fi and GPS
- Wirelessly transfer your images to a smart device or Wi-Fi enabled computer for storage and easy sharing on social media. Remote camera control is also possible from a smart device and integrated GPS allows you to tag the geographic location of every shot you take.
- Customizable Front Face Button
- An customizable alternate shutter release button is located on the front of the camera to make it even easier to shoot selfies. The button can be set to perform several functions including video start, monitor brightness boost, AF Illumination Light, Super Macro Mode activation.
- Dual Image Stabilization
- Dual Image Stabilization combines Lens-Shift Image Stabilization with high ISO sensitivity and fast shutter speeds to capture crisp, clear images even in low-light situations. OI Tracking is a stabilization mode designed specifically to reduce the shake and blur that often accompanies tracking shots. In video mode a hybrid 5-axis stabilization system combines lens shift and digital stabilization systems.
- Built-In Flash
- A built-in flash unit is available for additional lighting in Auto, Redeye, Fill modes and even as a constant LED light for video.
- Super Macro Mode
- Super Macro mode enables extreme close focus on small items and sharp details.
- Sportcam Mode
- Sportcam Mode provides features effective for capturing heart-racing action and bundles them together in one mode for easy access. Full HD at 60 fps, movies in slow motion and super slow motion, time-lapse movies and burst shooting are supported.
- Sport Burst and Interval Shooting
- The TG-860’s interval shooting feature allows you capture each step of an action sequence, or you can set the camera for longer intervals and stitch the images together into a time-lapse movie.
- Sweep Panorama Mode
- Capture panoramic vistas all in one frame with the touch of one button, by simply panning the camera across the scene.
- Intelligent Auto and Scene Modes
- In iAuto mode, the camera automatically detects the subject, lighting and situation to identify the scene you’re shooting and adjusts the settings for ideal results. Scene Modes include Portrait, e-Portrait, Landscape, Night, Night + Portrait, Hand-Held Starlight, Sport, Indoor, Self Portrait, Sunset, Fireworks, Cuisine, Beach & Snow, Documents, Underwater Snapshot, Underwater Wide 1, Underwater Wide 2, Underwater Macro, and others.
- Art Filters
- Art filters provide creative options for your images, letting you add colors and styles such as Pop Art and Pin Hole to your shots.