The white and silver Lumix DMC-GF7 Mirrorless Micro Four Thirds Digital Camera with 12-32mm f/3.5-5.6 ASPH. Lens from Panasonic provides a high-resolution 16 megapixel Micro Four Thirds Digital Live MOS sensor and a versatile angle of view equivalent to that of a 24-64mm lens on a 35mm camera. Coupled with a Venus Engine image processor, the Lumix DMC-GF7’s sensor is capable of producing clear, low-noise photos up to ISO 25,600 and videos up to ISO 3,200. A contrast autofocus system helps deliver sharp images even when the camera’s mechanical shutter is capturing fast bursts at up to 5.8 fps or at 39 fps while the electronic shutter is used instead. When motion picture mode is activated, video can be recorded at resolutions up to 1080p along with stereo sound.
Built for media sharing and easy connectivity with mobile devices, a press of the Lumix DMC-GF7’s Fn1/Wi-Fi button is able to pair the camera with a smartphone or tablet installed with the free, downloadable Panasonic Image App. Zoom, focus, and shutter activation are controllable through a paired smartphone or tablet, and images taken with the Lumix DMC-GF7 can then be conveniently accessed, GPS tagged, and uploaded to social media.
The results of nearly any subject, from landscapes to sports, can benefit from the Lumix DMC-GF7’s sensor, picture settings, as well as image processing. Selfies are no exception with new automatic shutter modes that offer the ability to capture more fluid, natural-looking self-portraits and group shots. Face Shutter allows a photo to be taken with a wave to the camera and Buddy Shutter recognizes when two faces are brought side-by side within the frame to instantly take a picture. In either case, more spontaneous facial expressions and poses are saved which could otherwise be lost in the process of waiting for a self-timer, or by having asked an inexperienced photographer to take your photo.
The capabilities of the Lumix DMC-GF7 and a paired smartphone are further combined for even more dynamic selfies and group shots. Using the camera’s touch-control 180° tiltable LCD monitor, you can position yourself and your friends in front of the lens to ensure that no one is outside of the frame even if everyone was to jump up for a mid-air portrait. When Jump Snap is activated, the accelerometer of a paired smartphone in your hand or pocket can be used to detect the highest point of your jump and simultaneously activate the shutter. Three beauty-effect modes can then be selected to soften skin, slim facial lines, and defocus backgrounds so that regardless of how many people you put in a selfie, you can better control how they look and where the viewer’s attention should be.
With Snap Movie mode, short video clips can also be shot and optimized for social media. Video editing with focus and fade effects can be applied to two, four, six, or eight-second clips which can then be sequenced using a smartphone or tablet with the Panasonic Image App. Background music can also be added to the clips for greater impact, and as with images, these short video edits are easily uploaded and shared.
Experienced and advanced photographers can enjoy the Lumix DMC-GF7’s manual, shutter priority, and aperture priority modes, while those less accustomed to a fully-featured camera can shoot according to the Lumix DMC-GF7’s 23 comprehensive Scene Guides that are available for still images and 20 for movie clips. Creative Control modes for both still images and movie clips such as Retro, Cross Process, and Toy Effect provide experts and novices alike with the opportunity to experiment with specific effects that can be applied regardless of the subject or scene being photographed.
The Lumix DMC-GF7 offers compatibility with the full range of Lumix Micro Four Thirds mount lenses and is bundled here with the Lumix G Vario 12-32mm f/3.5-5.6 ASPH. Lens. This lens has an angle of view equivalent to that of a 24-64mm lens on a 35mm camera. It also features optical image stabilization for shake-free imaging, even in low light. Three aspherical lens elements and one extra-low dispersion element enable sharp imaging with minimal fringing and color distortion across the lens’s entire focal range.
- 16MP Live MOS Sensor and Venus Engine
- A 16MP Live MOS sensor and Venus Engine image processor offer clear, high-resolution photo and video imaging with extremely low noise even at ISO sensitivity settings up to of 25,600 for still images and up to 3,200 for video.
- 3.0″ Touch Screen Tilt LCD
- With the 3.0″ Touch Screen LCD, you can set focus and release the shutter with just a tap on the monitor. Its 180° vertical tilt allows for easy self portraits and reflections are minimized for easier composition in bright light. A 1,040k-dot resolution enables clear image composition and playback.
- Built-in Wi-Fi and Instant Smartphone Connect
- A single press of the camera’s Fn1/Wi-Fi button pairs the Lumix DMC-GF7 with a smartphone or tablet without the need for passwords. A fast connection to a portable device can also be established by having a smartphone or tablet read a connectivity QR code displayed on the camera’s screen. After installing and opening the Panasonic Image App on a paired smartphone or tablet, an easy-guide menu is displayed to make photo sharing quick and simple.
- Full-HD Video Recording in AVCHD and MP4
- The Lumix DMC-GF7 records 1920 x 1080 Full HD videos with full-time AF and high-quality stereo sound in the AVCHD format. Videos can also be recorded in MP4 format for playback on a PC or other portable electronic devices without having to convert the files.
- Autofocus System
- The Lumix DMC-GF7 utilizes Contrast autofocus for its focus system. Compared with Phase Difference autofocus, the Contrast autofocus boasts higher accuracy especially in shooting with wide aperture lenses. Up to 5.8 fps can be captured in Auto Focus Single mode.
- Buddy and Face Shutters
- Buddy Shutter recognizes when two faces are brought together in front of the camera and activates the camera shutter. When Face Shutter is enabled, a simple wave to the camera captures a self-portrait. With these features, more spontaneous selfies and group shots are possible. Facial expressions and poses are saved which could otherwise be lost while waiting for a self-timer, or by having asked an inexperienced photographer to take your photo.
- Jump Snap
- After positioning yourself and your friends in front of the lens and within the frame using the 180° tiltable rear screen, Jump Snap can be activated. Jump Snap uses the accelerometer of a paired smartphone in your hand or pocket to detect the highest point of your jump and simultaneously activate the shutter for mid-air group shots.
- Beauty Modes for Close-Ups
- Three beauty modes can be used to enhance portraits or close-ups. Soft Skin mode makes skin look brighter and smoother, Slimming mode shapes and sharpens facial lines, and Defocusing mode keeps subjects clearly focused while gently softening the background.
- Dual Shutter Buttons
- In Self Shot mode, the Wi-Fi button serves as a second shutter button so that selfies can be easily captured with the right or left hand.
- Scene Guides
- For still images, the Scene Guide offers 23 sample scenes. Users can choose the one closest to the situation they are going to shoot and optimum adjustments for shooting the scene will be automatically set. Sample scenes are: Portrait, Child, Scenery, Silky Skin, Backlit Softness, Relaxing Tone, Bright Blue Sky, Romantic Sunset Glow, Vivid Sunset Glow, Glistening Water, Clear Nightscape, Cool Night Sky, Warm Glowing Nightscape, Artistic Nightscape, Glittering Illuminations, Handheld Night Shot, Clear Night Portrait, Soft Image of a Flower, Appetizing Food, Cute Dessert, Freeze Animal Motion, Clear Sports Shot, and Monochrome.While in Motion Picture mode, available Scene Guides include: Portrait, Child, Scenery, Silky Skin, Backlit Softness, Relaxing Tone, Bright Blue Sky, Romantic Sunset Glow, Vivid Sunset Glow, Clear Nightscape, Cool Night Sky, Warm Glowing Nightscape, Artistic Nightscape, Handheld Night Shot, Clear Night Portrait, Appetizing Food, Cute Dessert, Freeze Animal Motion, Clear Sports Shot, and Monochrome.
- Intelligent Auto Mode
- Intelligent Auto mode supports taking pictures with a variety of shooting-assist functions. Faces, camera shake, subject movement, as well as ambient light can be determined by the Lumix DMC-GF7 while shooting. The camera can also evaluate a scene as whole and apply one of its built-in Scene Guides for optimal results.
- Creative Controls
- Experienced and novice photographers can enjoy experimenting with their images by using the Creative Controls. Available Creative Control filters for still images include: Expressive, Retro, Old Days, High Key, Low Key, Sepia, Monochrome, Dynamic Monochrome, Rough Monochrome, Silky Monochrome, Impressive Art , High Dynamic, Cross Process, Toy Effect, Toy Pop, Bleach Bypass, Miniature Effect, Soft Focus, Fantasy, Star Filter, One Point Color, and Sunshine.While in motion picture mode, available Creative Controls include: Expressive, Retro, Old Days, High Key, Low Key, Sepia, Monochrome, Dynamic Monochrome, Impressive Art, High Dynamic, Cross Process, Toy Effect, Toy Pop, Bleach Bypass, Miniature Effect, Fantasy, and One Point Color.
- Creative Panorama
- Creative Panorama makes it easy to shoot vertical or horizontal panoramic images simply by panning the camera.
- Silent Mode
- When photographing in a quiet location or when discretion is required, a single setting switches the shutter from mechanical to electronic operation. The autofocus sound is turned off while the autofocus assist lamp and flash are both suppressed.
- Snap Movie Mode
- Two, four, six, or eight-second video clips can be recorded and edited with additional focus and fade effects. When installed on a paired smartphone or tablet, the Panasonic Image App can be used to sequence, apply music, and share edited versions of those clips to social media.
- Time-Lapse Recording
- The Lumix DMC-GF7 can be set up to record stars shifting in the night sky, moving clouds, or flowers coming into bloom. Images taken at the intervals you choose can then be combined in-camera to create time-lapse videos.