The Sigma dp3 Quattro Digital Camera combines the 29 MP Foveon X3 Direct Image Sensor with the TRUE III image processing engine to create high quality images with an equivalent resolution of 39 megapixels due to the unique sensor design. This method uses layers of pixels to capture the color data of the red, green, and blue spectra vertically, requiring no interpolation. This results in a sharper image with better color gradations.
With this technology is a 50mm lens producing a 35mm equivalent focal length of 75mm; making it useful for portraits, weddings, concerts, or any situation where a medium telephoto can be applied. It has a maximum aperture of f/2.8, making it useful in low light and for providing separation of a subject from its background. Incorporating a Special Low Dispersion (SLD) glass element and a glass mold aspherical lens, optical aberrations are minimized. Also, for composing and reviewing images, a 3.0″ 920k-dot TFT LCD display is available on the back of the camera.
For low light shooting, the camera has an ISO sensitivity range of 100-6400 in 1/3 steps and it has P/S/A/M shooting modes for full control over your exposure. It even has RAW image capture at a max resolution of 5424 x 3616 for excellent editing capabilities. For focusing, there is contrast-detect autofocus or a manual focusing ring for your preference. And, the camera saves your images to an SDXC, SDHC, or SD card.
- 29 MP Foveon X3 Quattro Direct CMOS Image Sensor & TRUE III Image Processing Engine
- The dp3 uses the APS-C-sized Foveon X3 CMOS image sensor which captures color information vertically as opposed to horizontally. This means that each pixel has extremely accurate color information, resulting in rich tones and smooth gradations. Also, since it captures color vertically, there is no need for color filters or a low-pass filter, further increasing image quality for resolution comparable to about 39 MP from Bayer array image sensors.This camera utilizes the latest generation of this technology, named Quattro due to the 1:1:4 ratio of the pixel layers, with 20 MP on the top layer and 4.9 MP on each of the bottom two. This simultaneously reduces file size and increases resolution, making the camera faster and lowers the power consumption. This speed increase is also due to the third generation Three-layer Responsive Ultimate Engine, or TRUE III image processing engine. The processor is optimized for handling the complex image data recorded by the sensor and produces high quality imagery.
- 50mm f/2.8 Prime Lens
- Equipped with a 50mm f/2.8 prime lens, this camera provides a 35mm equivalent focal length of 75mm for medium-telephoto shooting. Its maximum aperture of f/2.8 contributes to good-quality results even in low-light conditions and can be used to create separation of a subject from its background.
- 3.0″ LCD Monitor
- The dp3 features a 3.0″ TFT LCD display with 920,000 pixels for shooting and reviewing your images. This monitor is also where you can change settings for your shooting needs and preferences.
- RAW Image Capture
- Full 14-bit RAW images can be captured with data for every pixel included, meaning 5424 x 3616 on the top layer, and 2712 x 1808 on the subsequent two pixel layers. You can also shoot with JPEG and produce images with resolutions as high as 7680 x 3296.
- Full Exposure Control
- Program, aperture priority, shutter speed priority, and full manual modes are included for complete control over the look of your photographs. This gives you access to the ISO settings from 100-6400 in 1/3 steps and a shutter speed from 1/2000 sec all the way to 30 seconds. Additionally, there is exposure compensation available from -3 to +3 EV.
- Auto and Manual Focusing
- Contrast-detect autofocus is available with 9-points Select Mode in addition to Free Move Mode and Face Detection AF. Also, the lens itself has a focusing ring for manual focusing.
- Color Modes
- The camera features 11 different color modes for a variety of effects, including Standard, Vivid, Neutral, Portrait, Landscape, Cinema, Sunset Red, Incandescent, Fluorescent, Color Temperature, Flash, and Custom.