The AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Lens from Nikon is an all-purpose zoom lens capable of shooting wide angle to super telephoto focal lengths. This lens has a zoom range of 18-300mm, which provides the 35mm focal length equivalent of 27-450mm in the DX format, making it useful in a wide range of shooting situations.
The lens utilizes a Silent Wave Motor enabling quick, quiet auto focusing for photo and video as well as an internal focusing system that keeps the lens design compact. Also, second-generation Vibration Reduction technology optically stabilizes the image to reduce the effects of camera shake and movement providing the equivalent of up to 3.5 additional shutter speed stops.
Helping with image quality are three aspherical and three extra-low dispersion glass lens elements that will minimize aberrations and lend to overall image clarity and color accuracy. Nikon’s Super Integrated Lens Coating reduces flare and ghosting and the lens has 9 rounded diaphragm blades for smooth out-of-focus areas and a 77mm front filter thread.
- The Silent Wave Motor autofocus system uses ultrasonic vibrations-rather than a gear system-to focus the lens, providing incredibly smooth, silent and precise autofocus operation.
- The second generation Vibration Reduction II image stabilization improves image stability by automatically compensating for camera shake for up to 3.5 stops of blur-free handheld shooting.
- Maximum magnification of 0.32x and a minimum focusing distance of 1.5′.
- Lens construction consists of 19 elements in 14 groups.
- Works on FX-format cameras in DX crop mode.
- Utilizes 9 rounded diaphragm blades for smooth out-of-focus areas.
- The three extra-low dispersion (ED) glass elements help by minimizing the effects of chromatic aberrations and maintaining optimal sharpness and contrast of the lens.
- Three aspherical lens elements reduce coma and other aberrations as well as correct distortion and help keep the lens design smaller and lighter.
- Super Integrated Coating nearly eliminates ghosting and reduces flaring, maintaining a crisp image throughout the frame.
- A-M switch locks the focus ring during autofocus while still allowing manual focusing when the ring is turned.
- The Zoom Lock Switch secures the lens barrel at its minimum focal length, preventing the lens from accidentally extending.