The 11-18mm f/4.5-5.6 DT Wide Angle Zoom Lens from Sony is a DT-series Alpha lens that has been optimized for cropped image sensors, and as a result it is not recommended for use with larger full-frame cameras. Its 11-18mm focal length is the 35mm equivalent of a 16.5-27mm lens. It is constructed of 15 elements in 12 groups – three of them being aspherical glass elements, with additional Extra-low Dispersion (ED) glass elements – which all help to deliver sharp, clear photos throughout the zoom range. It has a minimum focusing distance of 9.8″ and a front-end filter diameter of 77mm.
- APS-C 35mm Equivalent: 16.5-27mm
- This wide 11-18mm lens has a 1.6x zoom factor, but its viewing angle becomes the 35mm equivalent of a 16.5-27mm lens when attached to the cropped APS-C cameras it was designed for.
- Optimized For APS-C Size / DT-Format Alpha & Minolta DSLRs
- Intended for smaller, cropped Sony Alpha cameras, DT lenses employ an optical system that is specifically designed for digital cameras which incorporate an APS-C size image sensor.
- Extra-Low Dispersion (ED) Elements
- To reduce chromatic aberrations, most noticeable when zoomed all the way in, the extra-low dispersion glass corrects for certain wavelengths of light – producing sharper images with truer colors.
- 3x Aspherical Glass Lens Elements
- These precision lens elements correct distortion for sharper, more visually accurate images across the entire zoom range of the lens.
- Internal Focusing System
- Internal lens elements move, so the overall length does not change, creating a lens that focuses more quickly and doesn’t change balance.
- 7x Circular Aperture Blades
- Circular aperture blades produce smooth, rounded bokeh background effects when capturing spot-light sources in your pictures. Because the aperture blades form a near circle at the wide openings used for low-light shots, spot-light sources have a pleasing circular defocused effect.
- Filter Diameter: 77mm
- The 77mm front filter thread does not rotate, allowing rotating polarizing filters to be used.