The Sony 16-35mm f/2.8 ZA SSM II Vario-Sonnar T Lens is a fast and versatile wide-angle zoom that is designed for Sony and Minolta full-frame or APS-C A-Mount cameras. Users of compatible 35mm full-frame cameras can obtain a 107 to 63° angle of view, making this lens suitable for fitting subjects ranging from landscapes to large groups into your frame. On a Sony or Minolta APS-C A-Mount camera, this lens’s angle of view becomes equivalent to that of a 24-52.5mm lens on a full-frame 35mm film camera or DSLR. Wide-angle photography on an APS-C A-Mount camera is supported, as well as the ability to replicate the narrower angle of view provided when a 50mm lens is placed on a full-frame 35mm film camera or DSLR which is a useful combination for street and travel photography.
An extra-low dispersion, a super extra-low dispersion, and three aspherical elements are incorporated within the lens to maintain low distortion and corner sharpness while minimizing chromatic aberrations. Carl Zeiss T* (T-Star) lens coatings provide high contrast and uniform image resolution while helping to eliminate lens flare, internal reflection, and light scattering. Silent Super Sonic Wave autofocus motor and aperture mechanisms contribute to fast lens operation and the suppression of unwanted noise when capturing still photos as well as video clips.
This lens’s durable dust and weather-resistant design contributes to the versatility of Sony camera bodies that also feature weather-resistant components, allowing you to photograph in places or at times where exposure to the elements could impact camera system performance.
When used with a Sony A-Mount to E-Mount Lens Adapter, or a Sony A-Mount to E-Mount Lens Adapter with Translucent Mirror Technology that helps maintain autofocus performance, full-frame or APS-C Sony E-Mount cameras can also utilize this lens.
- 16-35mm full-frame zoom offers a versatile wide-angle focal length on both Sony A-Mount full-frame cameras and APS-C cameras. On Sony A-Mount APS-C cameras, this lens provides a 35mm-equivalent focal length of 24-52.5mm.
- Full-frame or APS-C Sony E-Mount cameras can work with this lens using a Sony A-Mount to E-Mount Lens Adapter, or a Sony A-Mount to E-Mount Lens Adapter with Translucent Mirror Technology that helps maintain autofocus performance.
- Fast f/2.8 maximum aperture benefits working in difficult lighting conditions and also aids in selective focus control.
- Three aspherical elements help to maintain low distortion and corner sharpness, while one extra-low dispersion element and one super extra-low dispersion element reduce chromatic aberrations.
- Carl Zeiss T* (T-Star) coatings provide high contrast and uniform image resolution while helping to eliminate lens flare, internal reflection, and light scattering.
- Weather-resistant design permits outdoor use and contributes to the versatility of Sony camera bodies that also feature weather-resistant components.
- Super Sonic Wave Motor produces high torque at slow rotation. Quiet, precise, and immediate start and stop responses are provided. Silent autofocus and aperture operation prevent distracting sounds during video capture.
- Focusing is achieved internally, keeping the length of the lens consistent. Fast autofocus speed as well as focus tracking is maintained and the front of the lens or a polarizer mounted on it is prevented from unintentionally rotating.
- Once focus has been set, pressing the Focus Hold Button on the lens barrel keeps the lens locked to the selected focusing distance.
- Built-in Distance Encoder works in conjunction with Sony’s Advanced Distance Integration flash metering system. This encoder helps a connected camera and a compatible flash take into account the distance of the subject from the camera system, helping to ensure that the correct amount of flash is used.
- Nine rounded diaphragm blades contribute to a pleasing out-of-focus quality and benefit the use of shallow depth of field techniques.