Characterized by its slightly longer-than-normal focal length, the black Nokton 58mm f/1.4 SL II S Lens from Voigtlander is a versatile prime well-suited to portraiture and general shooting applications. The focal length pairs with the bright maximum aperture for extensive control over focus placement to suit working with shallow depth of field or selective focus techniques. The smooth manual focus operation also contributes to controlling focus position, and both depth of field and focus distance scales are featured on the metal lens barrel to aid in pre-focusing or setting hyperfocal distance. This lens’ physical design also features a scalloped focus ring to recall classic lens designs of the 1960s as well as afford more secure handling during use. Mixing the classic-inspired design with contemporary usage, the lens also sports an Ai-S type CPU to permit in-camera adjustment of the aperture setting for faster, more intuitive exposure control.
- Slightly-longer-than-normal prime, this 58mm f/1.4 lens is designed for FX-format Nikon F-mount DSLRs, however can also be used with DX models where it will provide an 87mm equivalent focal length.
- Fast f/1.4 maximum aperture offers extensive control over depth of field when working with selective focus techniques, and the wide aperture also benefits working in difficult lighting conditions.
- Double gauss optical design helps to suppress both chromatic and spherical aberrations for high clarity and sharpness.
- Manual focus design permits working with subjects as close as 1.5′ away with a maximum magnification ratio of 1:5.8.
- All-metal lens barrel integrates both focus distance and depth of field scales to aid in using pre-focusing and hyperfocal focusing techniques.
- Scalloped focus ring and smooth focusing action affords precise control when handling.
- Built-in CPU permits using in-camera controls for adjusting the lens’ aperture setting.